PDA

View Full Version : M1 road test

david35
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
What do they ask you to do in a M1 road test? How hard would you rate it? Also, how long does it last? thanks.

mxs
03-19-2009, 05:45 PM
To get M1 you only need to pass a written test. To get M2, you need to pass road test which takes place basically at a parking lot ...

LBS
03-19-2009, 06:15 PM
What do they ask you to do in a M1 road test? How hard would you rate it? Also, how long does it last? thanks.

What kind of licence do you have right now?

(edit- or is this for someone else about to take a test?)

Ducky
03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
If you're talking M1 exit test, then you're basically going to do some exercises in a parking lot. Figure 8's around a couple of pylons, emergency stop, etc... in other words, the exercises that those riding courses teach you. I would recommend you do a course, instead of going straight to the MTO for this one, as they not only prepare you well and give you several chances if you've failed, but also because these are necessary skills and doing them under expert supervision will help you immensely.

If you're talking M2 exit test, here's some helpful links:

-London Area experience: http://www.natemeyer.ca/2008/05/m2-exit-road-test-route-tips-london-ontario/

-Copy of the actual test sheet: http://www.natemeyer.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/m-exam.pdf

Think of it as getting your car license. The most important things to look out for is to look side to side and into your mirrors, proper lane positioning, downshifting and stopping (keep it in gear, with one foot on brake, look both ways before setting off again), accelerating up to speed of traffic in highway portion, NOT SPEEDING anywhere else (including highway ramp turns); they'll also probably test you on making an emergency stop to the side of the road.

cbrguy_84
03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
In ontario for the M1 all I had to do was a written exam! While sorta on the topic, what is the M2 exit test like in Ontario? Is it very long?

chels
03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
he JUST explained what it's like in ontario....

but MYY question is... when you do it through MTO what do they just stand there and watch you? or do they like drive beside you in a car, lol

david35
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
If you're talking M1 exit test, then you're basically going to do some exercises in a parking lot. Figure 8's around a couple of pylons, emergency stop, etc... in other words, the exercises that those riding courses teach you. I would recommend you do a course, instead of going straight to the MTO for this one, as they not only prepare you well and give you several chances if you've failed, but also because these are necessary skills and doing them under expert supervision will help you immensely.

Thanks, can't wait to get it out of the way.

mxs
03-20-2009, 05:00 PM
he JUST explained what it's like in ontario....
but MYY question is... when you do it through MTO what do they just stand there and watch you? or do they like drive beside you in a car, lol

They just watch and make notes and write scor from particular excercise. Not really any different than when you go through safety course, except you learn, of course, a lot more in the course ...

grexxx01
03-20-2009, 11:55 PM
I think the safety course is awesome, everyone should take it.

TAKE THE COURSE!

chels
03-21-2009, 08:03 PM
YES SIR!

:king-033:

*takes course*

grexxx01
03-22-2009, 01:19 AM
YES SIR!

:king-033:

*takes course*

I feel so god-like

cbrguy_84
03-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Holy cow!!! I just had a look at the exam score sheet.....it feels like its setup to fail you, omg. Am I the only one that looked it over and feels overwhelmed by all the mistakes you can potentially make? How many points can you acquire before they fail you? I pay attention when I ride, and I try and be as safe as possible but man thats allot of stuff to keep thinking about!! I realize its different for everyone but is there an average length for the M2 exit?

chels
03-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Quote:
I feel so god-like
As you should

what's set up to fail you dude. the m1 or m2?

grexxx01
03-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I believe hes talking about the m2 exit?

Yeah I looked at the score sheet and I got a little scared too it is alot...but have you looked at the g2 exit...its about the same amount, mind you on the bike theres little things like lane positioning and things like that but Im sure if you've been riding for a while and have some experience under you belt the things they test you on should come naturally.

You could also take a m2 exit course...from what Ive heard its about the same as the m1 exit, almost a gauranteed pass.

BenlyBoy
03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
If you're talking M2 exit test, here's some helpful links:

-London Area experience: http://www.natemeyer.ca/2008/05/m2-exit-road-test-route-tips-london-ontario/

-Copy of the actual test sheet: http://www.natemeyer.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/m-exam.pdf

It was really interesting to see what the current MTO roadtest form looks like. For comparison check out the (ancient) 1974 form at http://www2.cyg.net/~stjam/test1974.PDF . Note that there was still a box for the spark control!

cbrguy_84
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I think that you are right, with ride experience most of that stuff just comes naturally, probaby do allot of that stuff without even thinking about it, just need to get back on the bike consistantly! I've just never actually seen a score sheet so when you look at that baby, holy cow was all that came to mind! :) I've heard that for the M2 exit, they give you some kind of earpiece so they can tell you where to go and what to do, and they follow you in a car, does that sound about right?

david35
03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm ready for any test at the MTO (or in life) because i've been taught by the brother.:spsmile::ChopperEmo::chop1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKdFNpsz48&feature=channel_page

grexxx01
03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I think that you are right, with ride experience most of that stuff just comes naturally, probaby do allot of that stuff without even thinking about it, just need to get back on the bike consistantly! I've just never actually seen a score sheet so when you look at that baby, holy cow was all that came to mind! :) I've heard that for the M2 exit, they give you some kind of earpiece so they can tell you where to go and what to do, and they follow you in a car, does that sound about right?

That does sound about right, but the MTO tests that way, that isnt the way it gets done with RTI or sheridan or one of the other courses

Ducky
03-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Yes, the London Area experience link I posted says that. You have two dudes in a car following you around, barking instructions into the earpiece.

And while it looks overwhelming, it's actually not. You just have to be aware of where your helmet (and eyes) are pointing, keeping to the right lane except when passing (that includes moving to the right lane right after a left turn), your lane positioning, and how to pull over to the side of the road in a semi-emergency stop.

Otherwise, you *should* know most of the other stuff, because if you don't, you're not going to last very long on the roads. It's common sense.

grexxx01
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Yes, the London Area experience link I posted says that. You have two dudes in a car following you around, barking instructions into the earpiece.

And while it looks overwhelming, it's actually not. You just have to be aware of where your helmet (and eyes) are pointing, keeping to the right lane except when passing (that includes moving to the right lane right after a left turn), your lane positioning, and how to pull over to the side of the road in a semi-emergency stop.

Otherwise, you *should* know most of the other stuff, because if you don't, you're not going to last very long on the roads. It's common sense.

Yes but common sense isn't very common lol, even amoung motorcyclists with years of experience...well ive just met some dumb ones.

Ducky
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Yes but common sense isn't very common lol, even amoung motorcyclists with years of experience...well ive just met some dumb ones.

Yup, but we're CBR125R owners, so (most) of us have common sense =D

grexxx01
03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
you bring up a good point, now that I think about it, some of the "riders" ive met who arent very smart all own 600 - 750 cbrs/ gixxers

patw
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Alright, I've seen a few replies here about the M1 exit test and I'm wondering why the hell mine had a road test?

To start, yes I did the regular parking lot maneuvers through the cones (dragging a cone behind me at one point... not one of my better moments :-) , but shortly after that, I had to do a road test where I had to exit onto (arguably) the busiest street in Barrie -- Mapleview, cross 3 lanes of traffic to take a left on the busiest intersection in town, then cross over more lanes to get to the right hand side (god forbid you ever ride the left lane!), back a few more lanes to turn around in a bus roundabout, ride back and cross those 3 busy lanes on Mapleview again to get back to the testing center. This is through solid traffic zooming around you at 60km/hr when it's moving, or a parking lot full of monkies who won't let you merge if it's not.

I can't wait to see what my M2 exit test requires. I'm sure it involves being chased by starving siberan tigers through flaming hoops while jumping, Evil Kinevil style, over 6 busses to land in a pool of sharks. Bonus points for signaling which way your body is going to land in mid-air :-|

I exaggerate a bit -- I drive the busy streets quite often, so it wasn't overly shocking but compared to just doing some cones in a parking lot, it does seem like we had to work harder for it.

grexxx01
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
wait a sec....you did alll of that to get your m2?!

wow, im glad I took a course LOL